Thursday, April 24, 2014

Series Review: Renai Shimasen Ka: Shall we Love? (恋愛しませんか[Ren'ai shimasen ka])

An otaku who falls in love with a girl who works at a maid-cafe, a dream come true for many. Fuwa Rito is your casual otaku and Fuwari-san is your run-off-the-mill big busted maid and how is this relationship even possible? These two share a common past but that will not stop them from falling in love. This story is straight-forward and will not leave you asking questions. Any complaints before we move on? Good?

Fuwari: 私と恋愛しませんか
She's roughly saying: "Don't you want to fall in love with me?"
Hey! Ohisashiburi! When was the last time I wrote something? I've been busy with school and my video-making that I don't have much time. Anyway, I'll do my best to review this series before it gets rusty on my head.

This is the first manga by Tachibana Roku serialized in Young Ace. The mangaka's latest work is Inugami-san to Sarutobi-kun wa naka ga Warui and is about two elite students fighting out in various small competitions that will determine who will be succeed the Inugami Foundation.

Spoiler Alert! If you are gonna read this post, please read the actual manga first!

Summary: Fuwa Rito, your average gamer otaku who plays Gal Games--dating sims--whose friends with real otaku. Together with Ruri-chan--Fuwa's kouhai from middle school and high school--they form the bad company. As with all typical otaku, the males of the group lack experience with "3D-girls" and for that, Ruri-chan sets them up for a 合コン (Gōkon = Matchmaking Party). Ruri uses this alibi to get information about Fuwa-kun's feelings about her.

The door to the 2D world!
They arrive at the appointed meeting place; メイドREMI (MeidoREMI = a play on Maid and Do Re Mi). Once there, a big busted girl welcomes them and it was as if she recognized Fuwa-kun. The party seated, they each introduce themselves and the big busted maid overhears, she drops Fuwa-kun's drink at the sound of his introduction. After some conversation regarding the guys' thoughts about Ruri, the women and Fuwa's friends leave.

The big busted maid was out to give complimentary napkins when he sees Fuwa. She confronts him and asks him if he wants to be her lover for a month. In shock, Fuwa could not reject her proposal and lets the situation take its course.
I would like to be called "Goshujin-sama!"
Soon, the two get involve with relationship building situation and end up with affection towards each other that they could not deny. Over the course of this time, there are a few attempts Ruri-chan made in order to sweep her senpai away from a stranger coming into his life. However, this story can only end with the true love interest, and that is Fuwari-san (a.k.a. big busted maid). How they get from total strangers to lovers is the magical ride that will not fail you.
Feels like "OreImo."
Art: Modern shounen with a rounder curves and edgier angles. With every shounen that is serialized, this one does not stand out and is just the same as the others. I'm really getting tired of this kind of art style, it was as if all these mangaka came out of the same manga school and the instructor just taught these young hopefuls to be the same and generic. There's nothing that stands out, it's the same damn thing as Real Account and others.
YAOI is unavoidable.
I do like the art style however generic it is but I would like some kind of deviation from the generic. The audience is mostly for growing teenage boys as the female lead is big busted and the main characters design is as generic as any other shounen protagonists to suit any otaku's fantasies.

Story: I really don't think it's a unique love story between an otaku and a maid-cafe server. The thing that really hooked me to read this story at 3am is the "It's you!" part. I mean, she knew him from somewhere and that's what I wanted to know. Then Fuwa kind of remembered something and we get a glimpse of a school girl who wore big glasses with braided twin tails. That intrigued me and made me want to read more.

They literally made this cover making it look like a GAL GAME.
It was quite straight forward and the story knew it was a love story and nothing else. No filler, no extras and no dilly-dallying; just 3 volumes in length. I'm glad it was short as it would not be as good if it kept going for more chapters. We got from point A to point B. The only complaint I have about this series is that it had two endings; for me, the point where he becomes true to himself is the real ending. The audience is undoubtedly, mostly shounen.

The Filename will reveal the truth.
Characters: Fuwa is the generic protagonist who's dense and full of flaws but is kind and caring. He does try to develop himself to avoid hurting and inconveniencing others. He's relatable in all aspects because he's pretty much the "nice guy" that a lot of people say "finish last." As for Fuwari, she's the girl next door you want to date but is way out of your league. She's cute, has a great body, she's every otaku's dream waifu. However, she's impossible and can only really exist in fiction. Ruri-chan's character is more like it. She doesn't develop as much as a character as she already has the great traits hidden within her that only her encounter with Fuwa can release.
What's up with guys no trusting women anymore?
Bottomline: It's a good story to pass your time. It's not unique, it just gets you by. I enjoyed it despite it being only 3 volumes in length. After catching up with Berserk, I immediately needed a manga to get me by and this fulfilled that need. I'll probably forget about this manga unless I put it on my MAL account. That's how it was average it was. I'm not trying to put it down but it was just that and nothing more. I'm only saying that you shouldn't expect anything great out of this title. I'll give it a "try" because not a lot of people will like it because of it's generic-ness. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this as much as I can but it's just a time-killer at most and nothing else.

The "YURI" is a lie!
Addicting Level: 7/10

Why did I review this and why haven't I reviewed the other series I've been reading? First of all, who are you and how did you know that I've been reading a lot of series? As I said on my intro, I'm really busy with school and with my videos. I really want to start a group where we could discuss everything manga. Since I enjoy reviewing anime in a funny way, I do that too but those are short. Anyway, I chose this because it's a series where I would like to get over with before I forget about it. I still have Onani Master Kurosawa to finish reviewing. All I ask if for your cooperation. Arigatou! Ja na!






No comments:

Post a Comment