Thursday, January 23, 2014

Manga in the Mail: 20

Hey! It's the 20th Mail post and still going strong! Good for me!




Reason: I bought this because it's a story about a dark skinned man (is that racist? Sorry if it is.) Not many mangaka make an African American be a main character. It's also a music oriented title so I decided to order it. It has a lot of unique traits that I really like! It specifically tackles early 20th century blues. How those who listen to blues are treated, and what life looks like when you're a bluesman. It's really interesting for me to know more about the life of a black man and how hard life is for them. Total respect is what I can give them.
The main character.

Unofficial Story: This is the fantasized and romanticized biography of a famous blues musician named Robert Johnson. The title is also a song from Johnson and it tells the story of the singer waking up one morning to the devil knocking on the door, telling him that "it's time to go". This series tells us about how Robert Johnson, a farmer, learned how to play the blues.

Synopsis: Legend has it that if you take your guitar and stand at a crossroads at the witching hour, the devil will appear. He'll grab your instrument, play a song, and hand it back to you. You'll walk away an expert bluesman, but you'll have to pay the price: your immortal soul.

The year is 1929. Deep in the Mississippi Delta, a young man named R J dreams of becoming a bluesman. R J is a simple farmer who can barely play guitar, but when he takes a midnight stroll, his life is forever changed.

A phantasmagoric reimagining of the life of legendary blues great Robert Johnson, Me and the Devil Blues follows the journey of a man who really did sell his soul to the devil. Why not come along for the ride?

Random page I found.

First Impressions: After reading that, I really wanted to own this series. I also saw some pictures and I have read the first pages of the this series through a manga streaming website. The art looks good and it feels like a painting. The only thing to do now is to read this massive 400 pager of a volume.

4 volumes packed into 2 omnibus volumes, it's a must have. I like these thick omnibus type volumes because I feel like they'll have more meaning than the regular sized volumes.

Also, a random page I found! Where's Bonnie?

Hopes: I hope it'll be a nice read and it won't get boring. I wish there was more though but I'll have to finish the two to have the right to say that.

Anyway, hope you like this new format of Mail posts! Tell me if you like it or not in the comments down below! Thanks! Ja ne!

No comments:

Post a Comment