Sunday, June 15, 2014

Weekly! All you need is Kill 16 & 17 (END): All you Need is Kill; Sky Blue

Keiji gets attacked by Rita. According to Rita, both of them have become antennas because their brains have received a signal that only mimics use. To escape the loop, one of them has to die and continue to save humanity. At the end, one survives and drinks the moldy coffee. That person will continue to save humanity with their skill and knowledge about mimics. All you need, is kill.

Announcement of the Tankobon's.
Mother of god, I'm getting teary-eyed just thinking about the ending. Last night (06-10-2014) I saw the ending and it was awful. My heart was breaking and my chest tightened. I don't know why but I really got emotional that night. It has officially ended. Let me tell you more about it. Here's are the titles: オールユーニードイズキル (Ōruyūnīdoizukiru) and スカイブルー (Sukaiburū).

Previously on: All you need is Kill 15: Rita go on to the battlefield and save Sergeant Bartolome and the other troops. After pushing the mimics back, Rita signals Keiji to go on and execute their plan to kill the server and backup mimics. Keiji feels something urgent is coming...

Spoiler Alert! If you are gonna read this post, please read the actual manga first!

Summary:
16: Keiji sees Rita coming at him with the intent to kill. He looks confused, asking about Rita's actions but dodging her attacks at the same time. Rita finally lets him in and tell him that one of them will have to die in order for one to go one living and fighting for humanity.
I'm trying to go PG on my blog.
The server mimics send out a signal that goes out to every mimic. This signal can be picked up by a few people and those people loop along with the other mimics as they go into a trial and error process to defeat humanity. As we are living things, our bodies adapt to factors that affect us and that includes the signal that mimics transmit. In turn, that person (respawner) will become just like any other mimic that can receive and transmit the main signal; an antennae. 
Every nook and cranny of your body. Creepy.
The battle starts and both exchange blows. Rita and Keiji are equally matched but one is the master and one has learned through watching the other. The two have decided to win the fight; Keiji remembering his promise to come out of the loop no matter what and Rita's promise of exacting revenge against the mimics. Both have the same kind of weapon, but since both haven't fought with other humans, it is up to fate to decide the winner.

I like this panel so I'll just post it.
17: Rita falls, with broken armor and a wounded torso. Dying, she congratulates Keiji on his win and admits defeat. He cannot believe his eyes, he did not want this ending therefore wishing for another try. Rita disagrees and tries to convince Keiji to keep on living through this timeline. She then pushes Keiji to say the words that he needs to say; and those words were "I love you." He then continues on and says the words that was spoken to him while suffering through his first iteration; "I will stay by your side, until you die."

Can't think of anything clever to say.
Waiting for death to come, they watch the setting sun and Keiji comments that it is very beautiful. Rita passed away moments after she said her final words; "I hate the red skies."

I also have a thing for loli-like body types.
After the attack, he was detained for insubordination but was soon released. Keiji received a medal for his early action when duty called for him. He gets transferred to the US Defense Force as a replacement for Rita. Rita's comrades in the force took their time and effort into etching "Killer Cage" into Keiji's suit. Shasta gives the key to the sky lounge and tells him of her effort to swat away people seeking protection. He asks Shasta about the reason why Rita colored her suit red. "Rita wanted to stand out for strategic purposes," she answered. To quench her curiosity, Shasta wondered about Keiji's relationship with Rita. "We only met the day we were attacked," he replied with an assuring smile.

Nothing is more descriptive as the phrase "Doki Doki"
Keiji wandered to the sky lounge to see the place he had last been with Rita. While he takes one long glance at Rita's room, he promises to himself that he will be humanity's champion against the invading mimics. He walks towards the coffee Rita had made just before the attack. Keiji takes a look at it and sees mold growing. Deciding for a color he wants to use on his exo-suit, he brings the moldy coffee to his lips, and drinks it.

Rita will never be forgotten.
Likes: It ends where it started, with a twist. At Keiji's first iteration, he gets looted by Rita while being respectful and saying "I'll be by your side, until you die." His final iteration was the same except that Rita is now the one who gets killed.

Keiji's last minute confession. I'm sad that he had this unrequited love but I'm also happy that he got to confess before she was away. She will carry this memory, albeit only for a few more minutes, and hopefully get a bit of happiness before she passes.

My heart strings were extremely pulled when I saw this page
Rita's death. I know it's not something to "like" but I think that this death was done well. Everything ended well and Rita died peacefully in Keiji's arms.

The coffee. Rita explained about the coffee getting moldy after a days, but Keiji still drank it like a boss. Everything about that scene is just drawn perfectly for me.

Not to alienate you but, it reminds me of the Last Supper
Dislikes: I'm sad that it ended too soon. This is the first time that I really put so much effort into a series, reviewing each chapter as they came out from start to finish, even downloading the raw magazines. It has left a mark in my heart and I will never forget about this series.

Another good looking page.
So there's the final WEEKLY! post for All you Need is Kill. Did you enjoy the series as much as I did? I haven't read the novel yet and I'm planning to in the very far future, so for those of you who have read it, what did you think of it? Was it accurate? Where did it deviate? Tell me all of your thoughts down on the comment section below.

I'm happy to have brought you this series and to have review it for it's entirety; albeit it wasn't chapter by chapter. I'm extremely happy to have read this series and say what's on my mind. I hope you are happy too. Let us hope for more titles like these to come out and make us genuinely make me shed a single tear. Thanks for sticking with me! Sayonara!

No comments:

Post a Comment