Sunday, January 26, 2014

Review: MPD-Psycho Volume 2

Disappointed. I feel down. I was hyped up and let down.


I was so hyped up because volume 1 just left me wanting for epic gore fest but this one lack that. They got me hooked on this addictive substance and now I'm having withdrawals because this "new version" of this substance was lacking that extra high.

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Story so far: Yosuke Kobayashi, a detective has developed Dissociative Identity Disorder. He houses different personalities, from a psychopath to a stuttering idiot. He's currently hired by a private investigation firm and is now solving grotesque crimes.


MPD-Psycho Volume 2: (Story by: Eiji Otsuka/Art by: Shou Tajima) continues with Amamiya learning more about this brutal crime spree and what the eye bank has to do with it. We get to see a page about a man preaching about coming out of their human shell to become angels. A string of suicides (and one homicide) leads to the preacher aforementioned. Then we learn about a mysterious organization but their purpose remains vague. In another time, a short look into someone's past hints us about Yosuke Kobayashi's multiple personalities. A member of that organization, manipulates a man (who is a childhood friend of our main character) into repeating a familiar crime scene to invoke past memories of Amamiya. The conclusion leaves us with more knowledge about our main character and clears up question brought by the previously mentioned "short look into 'someone's past."

Remind you of someone?

Story: Well, it has it's own interesting parts but the gore that I fell in love with is not here. It's like I've been teased that I don't even care about the price but then it went bankrupt. That's how I see this series now. I mean, I'll still read it but with a lower standard now. It became a semi-regular detective manga. The gore is still there, don't get me wrong but I didn't cringe.

I don't know. Therefore, Angels.

I liked how they went back in time to introduce the past. It really closes the open character of Yosuke Kobayashi because this "past" explains how it all started and who the original personality is. The suicides case however, isn't as good. It was a waste to focus on the people who were committing suicides. They could've told another case while still trying to solve the suicides case. Anyway, the plot is still there but it isn't as prevalent as seen on the first volume. However, they made Kobayashi, more interesting than he was before.

Characters: As I said above, Kobayashi got way more interesting because of this "past." We also get to see more of Kikuo Toguchi (the freelance journalist from volume 1) and his connection with the member of the mysterious organization. How does he know him? What connections do they share with each other? Who the hell is Kikuo Toguchi?! Anyway, Miwa appears often now that she's (kind of) living with her older stepsister, Machi. She appears to have an interest in fires and obscure things.

Mystery man and Kikuo Toguchi?!

Bottomline: If you liked the first one, then you should read this  but lower your standards for the gore. Still expect the great story and art, just not the gore. I still admire it as a volume just not as much as the first one. Go ahead and give it a read, your opinion of it might differ from mine.

Addicting Level: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment