Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Review: What a Wonderful World Volume 1

I got this title recently (if you were reading my past Mail posts then you would know about this) and I've been conservatively pacing myself through this amazing title. This is truly a WONDERFUL manga!


If you read my Mail post about this, please, disregard that. I found a treasure. I hit the mother lode. This title is amazing. Listen to some The End of Evangelion soundtrack while reading this so you can feel the review more. Tearing up is allowed. The feels are intense.


What a Wonderful World Volume 1: (by Inio Asano) tells the stories of various people who are currently having problems with their life in some way. They were all about to give up, submit to a lower state but each story ends with an acceptance of one's self and self-realization of some kind. This title really showcases the varying faces of people and tells the reader that no matter what kind of trouble you are in, it is still a nice thing to live in this WONDERFUL WORLD.

Art: The art is unique, simple, comical yet natural. The style used is just so human that you can put your shoes in snuggly. I love it. I felt like this was made from human error and grew beautifully. The audience the art caters to is to the seinen/josei audience (meaning late teens to early adults.) If today's manga art style is for the new generation or the current shounen generation then this is not for kids. It would look pleasing to kids but adults would find this art style suiting their need for some "old manga" (old manga; for me, refers to the golden/silver age of manga.

Panels: If it was paying homage to old manga, then I would say, it did the job well. All in standard box panels. I didn't feel like there were wasted spaces but I definitely see a need for a lot of white space. To appreciate the art more, and to emphasize on the story it tells rather than the artsy screen tone filled mangas. Expression of movement is definitely present here because some panels really show a start, movement, contact and impact here. Just look at the kick in the teeth:

That's gotta hurt.

Story: I definitely want more from Asano-sensei if his stories were all like this one. Dark in the beginning, ending with an emergence of light. I love every story compiled here. The darkest one is Bear-head (I made that up because I can't remember the chapter title) where it's about a girl and a random criminal. Every unique character in this story grows like weed. No, seriously. Like weed. FAST. In a matter of pages, no, in a matter of "days," characters develop with or without regards to Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. Different situations call for different needs and fulfillment.

Since this is so dark in nature, the audience (like I said for the art) is the seinen/josei demographic. It's unforgiving, like death, it doesn't spare anyone. Whether you were good or bad, you will still have a moment of darkness and abysmal desperation. This is where it's good at, telling you that everyone is and will have a bad time and a REALLY BAD time. It's an episodic title the possibility of relation is inevitable. I mean, someone must've felt like one of the characters here.

Plot devices removed. Now they're just chatting. (ღ˘⌣˘ღ) ♫・*:.。. .。.:*・

Characters: They are definitely real. All of their reactions are human. Asano-sensei must have been sensing the feelings that were illustrated in this title. Like I said, these are humans with their story told in a manga. Depression is real, suicide is real, bullying is real, tragedies are real. I definitely felt the characters. Yes, each one of them, even if it was a little girl. I felt them, I truly felt them. Someone, somewhere should have an experience close to these characters. I definitely have. I felt down but I got up and moved on.

Bottomline: Read it. This is a feel good manga. It lays sorrow down the table and makes you stare at it for a moment and takes you in front of a mirror to reflect upon your life. Have I done something good? Is this really what I want? Am I just submitting to society's demand for puppets? We should all have a happy life. I hate to say this but Life is too short for this crap. Do something you want. Don't listen to what other's have to say. Do it until you're satisfied with what you've done. Please, don't do any crimes.

Mr. Bear-head late for work. (゚Д゚) 

My dear readers, I hope you enjoyed this review of a beautiful title. I hope you have a wonderful day. After all, we only live once. Arigato!

No comments:

Post a Comment