Friday, December 20, 2013

Review: Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad Volume 1

I've watched the anime adaptation and it's 9/10 for me. I'm actually starting to write a story about my experiences because I'm really inspired by the anime. Enough talk about the anime, let's talk about what started it all: the manga.


Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad Volume 1: (by Harold Sakuishi) Yukio Tanaka is a 14 year old senior in junior high. He complains about his everyday life being dull and wants to do something about but he has no idea on what to do. When Ryuusuke Minami entered Koyuki's life, he started to change and began to have a challenges that made his life better.


I don't want to spoil anything so that's the only thing I can say. I don't want to stop but I have to, because people wouldn't bother to read the manga if it was spoiled in anyway.

Art: Like I said back in Manga in the Mail: 8, it's drawn to be comical. It definitely reminds me of GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka in a lot of ways, like the expressions and the actions. I love the vintage feel of the art style because it's a turn of the millennium manga. The expressions are really good when they express a serious situation and really funny when they need to be.

Not the perfect example of the funny art.

The panel pacing? Hmm, kind of meh. It's divided up well and does do the job of expressing movement, however, some parts are just stuck into one.

Story: The story took the whole volume to get somewhere near what the cover art is trying to tell the reader. You should have read this first before watching the anime because I felt irritated and wanting more development to happen. Because it's volume 1, it's still trying to introduce the characters, especially Koyuki and Ryuusuke while introducing Maho and the others.

Characters: I guess you have to really develop Koyuki to get him from being a j-pop listener to a rock listener, from boring to exciting. He's done as an empty shell of a character, then they gave him a purpose by bring in Ryuusuke who is a 3/4 full character. They also gave him the trigger for change, Izumi, who feels like a stepladder in this series because she doesn't really do anything except being there when Koyuki's in trouble. Maho felt like one of the main characters despite being a support. Why? She was only introduced later in the volume and she evolved from being an extra to being a main one after the last scenes of the volume.

Butt out.

Bottomline: Give it a try. This is a music oriented manga so it's kind of hard to imagine the story going through your head. I like it though, I am really interested in seeing how Koyuki transforms into something big. I suggest you read this first though, you want the full details here, not from the anime because you'll disappoint yourself (maybe it's just me). I'm still giving it an 8/10 because it feels like the more volumes I read, the more I can understand the story, so yeah.

Next volume will be posted next week, just a heads up!

No comments:

Post a Comment