Saturday, December 21, 2013

Wishlist: Neon Genesis Evangelion

If you are an anime loving person then you should have come across this show. It's a masterpiece, a classic and a mind-trucking journey towards insanity of a show. I wrote about this show on one of my papers and I said:
This anime is a deconstruction of the *mecha subgenre. It focuses on the psychoanalysis of each character in the show and how a character breaks into more pieces as time goes on. On the outside, it looks like a regular super-robot anime but as the show progresses, its true colors show up and kids might be turned off by the unusually long dialogue and flashbacks into a character’s past. Anyone who first watches this will not understand the show in face value and this just shows how great an anime can be.


So why am I wanting an anime in book form? Well, the manga series has the same impact for me, albeit, without sound or color. It still tells the story, only in some cases, it diverts from the original scenes and creates its own scene to showcase the same scene. Does that make sense?



I have an unconditional love for this anime and it's especially renewable thanks to the **rebuild series. The anime is just a classic and it's just the right amount of epileptic seizure inducing scenes.

"Wait, wait, wait! I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR ADDICTION TO THIS ANIME! I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THE MANGA!"
- Blog Reader

Well to explain it in simple terms, the manga remasters what the anime lacks. I think of it as a parallel dimension to the anime where simple details divert and create another series of events. It's like the rebuild series, it's the retelling of the same story but with differences in between. I just like the manga.



Currently, I have the first six volumes of the title and I'm looking for the other 7 or so volumes. I can't afford the big ones (the VizBig edition that collects 3 volumes in 1 book) and I can't afford the entire series (because it's probably US $50+). You should also know that I'm a cheapskate. I don't like spending $5+ dollars for a 200 page book. Sorry.

Anyway, I'm gonna come up with a review about the series next year in February if not on January. I'm really just wanting for that series to be completed. *Sigh*

*Mecha is a subgenre of anime where the story revolves around robots/uses robots as a part of the story. The most popular franchise in this subgenre is the Mobile Suit Gundam franchise.

**The "Rebuild" series is a retelling of the story of the original anime. It steeply diverts from the anime and makes itself easier to understand. I personally like them but compared to the original, this is crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment