Saturday, January 18, 2014

Weekly! UQ Holder 17

Some manga streaming website just released two chapters of this title the same day they released Naruto so I'm going to post two separate posts instead of making one to make it more consumable. Longer posts tend to get boring at times (I know, I know) so I'll chop this into two bite sized posts. UQ Holder by Ken Akamatsu, if you haven't read my wishlist post on this, click here!

UQ Holder Volume 1 (Japanese)

Spoiler Alert! If you are gonna read this post, please read the actual manga first!


Summary: 2 extras (character wise, they are extras in the whole story.) are ordered to be lookouts for any suspicious movement. Suddenly, there were hooded children who were playing near one of the extras and was stabbed by one of the kids. The hooded children weren't kids, but looked more like monsters who were trained to be mercenaries. After that, we see Ms. Karin talking to one of the nuns while taking a shower (BTW, she's a hot babe.) A mysterious hand holding a gun goes through the tiled floor and is later revealed as an enemy. Chao Xingzai, a man who can keep up with our formidable Ms. Karin, is a professional mercenary whose mission is to stop the UQ Holder agents.

You know what, she looks a lot like Naoto from Dogs.

Likes: Ms. Karin's shower scene. Yes, both the ecchi route and the action route. I really like how Akamatsu-sensei does his action. He's not big on action, he rarely draws punches and kicks but when he does, it's all in one panel. It's kind of a pain to figure out whose punch is that, or which punch landed. He does it like how Goku can punch his enemy a hundred times over a second. That's how confusing his action scenes can be, but you can use your imagination to enhance the experience. I always do that, just do sound effects with your mouth as you read it.

Yeah, just read it like that. Pffft!

Dislikes: Well, I hate how easily those extras were defeated. I mean, come on! You're a member of UQ Holder and you can't handle small fry creatures? Are you serious? I want to see someone beating up these small creatures just to justify that these are small fry.

Quirks: Like I said on the Likes section, the punches are confusing, just look at this.

Yeah, it looks lazy but is really hard to think of the path of motion when drawing this kind of action panel.

Well, I'll try to post the second part when I have a free slot on my schedule so watch out for that! Ja ne!

No comments:

Post a Comment